Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What is a Farmer?

I read a post the other day on one of my lists. The author had been shopping at an Amish market and was shocked to learn that the Amish use Round-Up. The writer' s impression was that because of the Amish work ethic, they surely have a reverence for the land too. That got me to thinking about what people actually know about farming. It's part of the reason I started this blog. Impressions vs. Reality.

There are good farmer and there are not so good farmers. I actually try to find language that explains the difference, but not with much success in our American language. The closest I've found is a "small holder," being a small scale diversified farm, managed primarily "old order organic," practices. But there are many larger operations that meet that definition, but wouldn't consider themselves "smallholders."

I had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day re: the difference between a breeder and a farmer. She breeds goats, but holds farmers in disdain. In her mind farmers think only with the bottom line, and are selfish and cruel. In other conversations I've learned that "farmers hate environmentalists," and that "all farmers are conservative." Well, I'm a farmer, who breeds goats, has always been an environmentalist and consider myself progressive in my politics.

People farm for a variety of reasons, and "supporting farmers," is a bit like saying "you like air." Who doesn't? But actually having conversations with farmers, smallholders, landkeepers, land stewards, etc, is the only way to actually find out what kind of farmer you want to support.

To that end, this week's "Farmer Code Educational Activity," is going to be a word puzzle and a scavenger hunt. Only you'll know your success at the hunt, but I'll be listing different things about farms that "hunters," should learn more about. Hope you'll enjoy it. It'll be ready on Friday.

By the Way, from what I understand, the Amish value hard work, but some Amish see the animals and the land as just tools for their labor. Just like some people are fastidious in the care of the tools, others leave them out in the rain, and just plan on replacing them every year. You can decide what kind of "tool keeper," you are, or want to be, just as any Amish person, or any farmer, can decide how they want to farm their land.

No comments:

Post a Comment